When answering the telephone:
The person who answers the telephone in the business represents the company’s image. Anyone who answers the phone should always do so in the most professional mannar. If a message is taken, make sure to get the full name of the caller, his/her phone number, the reason for calling and the best time to return the call. An example of what can be said:
“Thank you for calling (name of company) this is (name of employee) how may I help you?”
When leaving a message:
- Always speak slowly and clearly when leaving a message
- Say the phone number with pause between the numbers
- Speak loud enough so the message can be heard
- Always leave your name, phone number, a brief reason why you called and the time you called and the best time to call back
- Always make it easy for people to reach you or the best time to call.
After playing telephone tag a few times and when you finally have the person on the phone, take notes about what the conversation is about so that you can follow up in the future. Get an email address, as well, to put in your data base. Oftentimes, email is an easier way to communicate as people today are so busy.
by Julie Brander, New Haven SCORE